Directions for Equi-Thane Adhere
- Glue on steel, aluminum and most plastic shoes as well as any hoof repair project.
- Initial set time of one minute and final cure time of six minutes
- Perfect for most every application.
- Sets hard with a superior bond, but maintains the flexibility necessary at the quarters and heels to allow the natural movement of the hoof.
Adhere™ Available in Black (REF#46150) or Beige (REF#46155), is a fast setting urethane adhesive
designed to fabricate hoof wall repairs and to bond aluminum, steel, or urethane shoes to the hoof.
• Vettec products are best used between 65° and 85° F (18° to 29° C). SEE: Cold & Hot Conditions
• Use of disposable gloves is recommended.
• Do not burn or “Hot Shoe” this product.
• Use only Vettec mixing tips.
• Denatured Alcohol is also known as: Pure, 100% Alcohol
1. To open the cartridge, remove the tip at line with nippers. Insert cartridge into dispensing gun, label side up.
2. Before attaching the mixing tip, equalize the cartridge by squeezing out a small amount to ensure that both sides are
dispensing evenly. Attach a mixing tip by pressing and twisting clockwise.
3. When finished, don’t release the pressure with the lever on the back of the dispenser. Remove the mixing tip
immediately, discard, and replace with a cap. Push the pressure release lever. Caps are available from your dealer.
4. For additional applications, re-equalize the cartridge, and attach a new tip.
1. Clips are highly recommended for stability and accurate placement of the shoe. Have clips set before gluing.
2. Drill a 5/16” hole between the second and third nail holes of both branches, countersink on the ground side.
A couple of additional holes will give a better grip.
3. Grind or rasp the top of the shoes to remove oxidation and roughen the surface. Clean with Denatured Alcohol (NOT 70%
isopropyl) to remove oil, grease, slag, and dirt. Dry Thoroughly.
4. Place 3 to 4 Adhesive-Spacers (REF # 46025) or pieces of wooden matchsticks around the web of the shoe to
maintain approximately 1/8” space for Adhere.
Optional: Apply Duct tape to the last 1” to 1 1/2 “ of the branches. This will prevent Adhere from locking the heels.
1. Trim, rasp, and level hoof as normal. Remove any weak or soft material, especially at the white line area.
2. DRY HOOF THOROUGHLY using a heat gun or hair dryer, even if you don’t think it needs it. Do not overheat.
NOTE: ONLY if the hoof is oily, wipe the affected areas with a cloth moistened with Denatured Alcohol, being
careful not to saturate the hoof. Dry thoroughly. DO NOT USE ACETONE!
1. Apply Adhere to the shoe approx. 3/8’’ thick and the width of the shoe.
2. Quickly and accurately place the shoe. Adhere will set in approximately one minute.
3. Keep the hoof elevated taking care not to move the shoe for 3 1/ 2 minutes until Adhere is partially cured.
Hint: Wrap the hoof & shoe with pallet wrap after 1 minute and set down. Remove wrap later. Pallet wrap is
available from your dealer or Uhaul.
COLD CONDITIONS (Below 65° F)
• Failure to keep the hooves, shoes, and Adhere warm will dramatically slow cure times.
• Store the cartridges in an insulated “cooler” warmed with microwaveable heat pads or 1 to 2 tightly capped gallon
jugs filled with hot water.
• In freezing temperatures, 32° F or less, the shoes must be warmed to keep condensation from forming on them and
preventing the bond.
HOT CONDITIONS (Above 85° F)
• Adhere will set too quickly. To retard the set time, store the material in an insulated cooler with 1 or 2 freezer packs.
HOOF WALL REPAIRS USING ADHERE™
• Areas of wetness, bleeding, or infection should not be covered. Once healed, commence using the product.
• Adhere can be applied with the shoe on or off, but will bond to the shoe. A coating of oil or petroleum jelly to
the top of shoe will prevent this from occurring. Take care not to get any on the area of the hoof being repaired.
• Adhere may not bond to hooves that have been heavily treated or saturated with products containing: oils, grease,
pine tar, etc. even after cleaning with Denatured alcohol.
• For a large application where heat transfer to the hoof is a concern (above 150 °F), limit the initial layer to 1/4 inch.
After the initial cure (2-3 minutes), apply to the desired level and shape as necessary.
• Use of disposable gloves is recommended..
Same as above
1. Trim, rasp, balance, and clean the hoof around the damaged area.
2. Using a hoof knife, rasp or Dremel™ tool, rout out the damaged areas.
3. Create an undercut on the hoof wall.
4. Protect the coronary band with hoof tape or damp gauze.
5. Clean and thoroughly dry the prepped area per instructions.
Note: If wet conditions exist, horse should be stalled overnight with dry bedding.
6. Dispense Adhere directly into damaged area over-filling around the repair and onto sound hoof wall.
Do not feather or "thin-out" the material around the edges. This will slow the set time and can lead to failure.
The plastic the cartridge came in can be utilized to push the material into the void. Leave in place until Adhere
cures, then peel off.
7. Adhere has a working time of 30-45 seconds for molding and shaping.
8. Allow 7 to 8 minutes for a full cure, then shape by trimming and rasping toward the hoof.
9. Nail shoe on as usual. Nails will penetrate without damaging the repair.
10. If a cosmetic finish is desired, after rasping and shoeing, fill any voids or holes using Adhere.
Limited Remedy: Follow instructions carefully. If your application is not covered by these instructions, call 800/483-8832 before using
this product. Buyer agrees that if Vettec products are proved defective, the user’s exclusive remedy will be, at manufacturer’s election, to
replace the defective Vettec product or to refund the purchase price for the defective quantity. Manufacturer is not liable for direct,
indirect, incidental or consequential damages regardless of legal theory asserted, including assertion of negligence and strict liability.